John Wickham Legg • Volume 2 of 3 • 1893
The Westminster Missal was commissioned for the abbey and written by Thomas Preston over two years for a fee of four pounds. It was given to the abbey by Abbot Nicholas Litlington, abbot 1362-1386 and builder of the Jerusalem Chamber, where the Henry Bradshaw Society was publicly launched. The manuscript was later divided into two volumes. It contains special provision for the coronation service, which it became traditional to hold in the abbey church. The manuscript, defaced here and there by the Visitors appointed by King Henry VIII, is now conserved in the Westminster Abbey Library, MS 37.
This volume contains the continuation of the text. The intention had been to print the music, but it proved impossible to secure the technical facilities and the Society had to be content with 12 photographic reproductions of musical notation from the Missal. The volume also contains rich notes.Purchase now at Boydell & Brewer