Philip Jebb • 1964
The calendar of this MS, L.404-1916, is based upon one compiled in Northern France, with influences from East Anglia and Rochester. This combination and other features point to the Abbey of St Thomas of Canterbury at Lessness, near Plumstead, Kent, which lies 10 miles or so South of the City of London. Founded at an unknown date, Lessness was a house of the Augustinian Canons Regular. In the late 12th century it was affiliated to the Augustinian Congregation of Arrouaise.
The MS was probably written c. 1200-1220 and is likely to have remained at Lessness till the Dissolution, to which Lessness fell victim in February 1525. In 1916 it was donated to the museum where it now resides. Cf. CLLA, n. 1398.Purchase now at Boydell & Brewer