John Henry Bernard • Robert Atkinson • Volume 1 of 2: Text and Introduction • 1898
First of 2 vols. The edition is based on two eleventh- century manuscripts: Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1441 (formerly E.4.2); and one then in Dublin, Franciscan Friary, Merchant's Quay. This latter MS (Dillon A2) is now in the Franciscan Library, Killiney, County Dublin, whither it was transferred in 1946. The collections to which the MSS bear witness are antiquarian rather than liturgical compilations and probably owe their existence to the drive to safeguard cultural monuments in the aftermath of the Norse invasions. Trinity College 1441 is datable to the 11th century, but the texts, in Irish and Latin, appear to date from the 5th to the 8th centuries. The edition is presented with extensive notes and a glossary. See Kenney n. 574; CLLA 177; BCLL, nn. 542-564, 578-591.