Hugh Jackson Lawlor • Richard Irvine Best • 1931
The Martyrology of Tallaght is contemporary with that of Oengus and served as the latter's source. Tallaght monastery (Tamlachta Maél Rúain), close to Dublin, was founded by Maelruain (d. 792), and his disciple Oengus was a member of the community. Other monuments of Tallaght provenance include the Stowe Missal.
Dated to c. 797-808, the Martyrology of Tallaght is the earliest Irish compilation of its kind, but seems to have aimed at a full list of saints from the Roman Calendar. Under each day is given an entry in Latin followed by a supplement in Irish.
Of the MSS used here, the principal one is the Book of Leinster, dated to the 12th century (Dublin, Trinity College MS 1339, formerly H.2.18), and the Brussels MS is a 17th century abstract. The many marginal notes and poems of the MS are reproduced here, and the edition contains a wealth of notes and very full indexes.Purchase now at Boydell & Brewer